Interior doors look great on their own, but they can also blend into a room decoratively if you know how to use the right paint colors and techniques. Painting an interior door is different from painting a wall; these are often built with one or two coats of stain and multiple coats of paint.
Interior Door Painting
Where to Start
- Decide whether you want to paint the door in place or outside.
- Remove all hardware from the door and the frame.
- Depending on the door’s condition, you may be required to fill uneven spaces with wood fillers.
- Use sandpaper to smooth the surface of the wood. Start with 150-grit sandpaper followed by 220-grit for better results.
- Clean and Dust the Surface with a Cloth.
Painting Like a Pro
Do I need to Prime a Door?
It’s a common question, and it’s tricky to answer because there are many factors involved.
If you’ve never primed a door before, the answer may be simple: Yes, you should prime. But if you are using pre-primed doors or painting with latex doors that have already been painted, you might skip this step.
Let’s Get On With It
If you are painting a flat or paneled door, you must use both: brush and rollers.
A good tip is to start painting the inside edges with a brush, then the header, and down the striker side.
The surface has to be painted from bottom to top with a lightly coated roller to get a smooth finish.
Paneled doors require more attention to detail, so you must start painting the edges of the panels with a paintbrush and then filling them with the roller.
- Once you have finished painting your door, you must let the paint dry.
- Next, the door must be lightly sanded using 60-grit sandpaper.
- The final step is finishing it with a high-quality top coat. This makes a high-quality job look even better.
- Once dry, attach the door knobs and hardware and be ready to rock your new door.
At Vey’s Painting & Refinishing, we understand that it takes time, expertise, and a lot of effort to finish the job well. That is why our team of professionals is ready to offer you the best door refinishing services at the most reasonable rates available in Houston, TX. We are always available to help you with any questions or concerns you might have.